3D Top Down RPG
10 weeks half-time
Custom 3D game engine
- Pathfinding - My main responsibility this project was to implement A* on terrain navmesh, the system works with a request-promise-handle system and is entirely multithreaded, and supports path funnel smoothing as well.
- Resources - I worked to optimize loading times by writing a transparent binary file cache, that automatically tracks and recompiles scene .json-files and navmesh .fbx-files to super compact binary representations to greatly improve loading times.
- AI - I did significant work on the enemy AI and path handling.
- Performance - I cleaned up a lot of the engine and reworked core systems to be more performant as it became a problem towards the end of the project.
- Bug tracking - I wrote a server and client for in-engine trello-style bug tracking, removing an axis of separation which helped convince people to report more frequently.